View Single Post
Old 08-28-06, 02:06 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ponds
Hey guys.

Trying to decide between: Giant OCR3, Trek 1000, Specialized Allez. OR the alternative, if I decide that I'm too heavy for these, is a steel touring/cross bike like the Bianchi Volpe (with slicks).

I'm about 325 on a good day, and dropping. Now, I used to ride a hybrid when I was 425, and it wasn't extra beefy or anything, so I assume I will be OK. The only thing that bugs me is that these bikes have carbon forks and some have seatposts, but the guy at the LBS assured me that wouldn't be a problem. All have 32 spoke wheels, which is what I ride right now. The Allez has a 28 spoke front, which I can't see that being much of a problem.

Should I be ok on one of these bikes? Any reccomendations on which?
I rode a Specialized Allez (sp?) and liked it. THe Giant is a nice looking bike. The Trek seems well liked.

The reality is that you are the better judge at this point.

I would say you should be on the bike that makes you most excited. If they each are comfortable, get the one that is sexiest. The one that will make you want to ride harder and faster. Because when it all comes down to it, any of these bikes can carry you. The thing now is you getting on it.