Old 08-31-06, 09:20 AM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about bumping my own thread... just felt like sharing an update.

Decided to ride the same loop today and try to break one hour and 18 MPH. It was nice and cool, and the wind seemed a bit calmer, so it seemed like perfect conditions to go for it. Checked my computer after about 1.5 miles. Only 17 MPH average so far? Well, I guess that includes lots of intersections/turns near the beginning and warm-up time, so no big deal. It's probably right on pace. The overall plan from here was simple. Go at a pace that causes my legs to hurt a bit all the time, and hope to have a bit in reserve for the two minor inclines on the home stretch. And if I burn out along the way, so be it. I could simply limp home at a reduced speed.

Got going along the eastward leg and determined the wind to be relatively light and from east or ENE. Okay, cool... just hold a good effort on this leg, and my average speed should pick up on the southward and westward legs. Got to the end of the eastward leg, briefly checked my cyclocomputer, saw a 18.3 MPH average speed. Right on schedule. Picked up the pace (but not effort, thanks to change in relative wind direction) on the southward and westward legs. Not much to pay attention to other than simply keeping my cadence nice and high (aimed for 95-105 RPM today to help keep my power up since my legs aren't that strong) and pedaling smoothly. And watching out for cars at intersections. At the end of the westward leg, I checked again. 19.3 MPH! Hey, maybe I can keep up that 19 MPH average on the home stretch. Though my legs are kind of hurting.

There are two downhills and two "climbs" on the home stretch. The downhills were a nice reprieve from working hard, but the climbs really hurt. In an effort to keep my average speed up, I climbed the first incline a tiny bit faster than usual. Boy that hurt. Good thing it was immediately followed by the second downhill. That left the final climb before a 2 minute flat-ish ride home. I felt pretty tired by then, but downshifted to a really low gear and tried to just spin as hard as I could. Somehow, knowing I could set a new PR helped me keep my speed up around where it normally would be. Got home in 56:05 (ride time) for an average speed of 19.2 MPH.