View Single Post
Old 08-31-06, 11:53 AM
WorldWind
Hardtail

Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had Ben Franklin gotten his way, the National bird would have been the Turkey. I only mention that because that is the extent of my knowledge regarding wild turkeys. And any resemblance to any current political observation is purely coincidental. I have on the other hand had run-ins with peacocks. The only thing funnier than startling a peacock on the trail and having them display for you is to have them turn and run down the trail in front of you.

My favorite trail to take friends on for a little novice night ride is one in the Santa Cruz hills that goes from Black road, off of 17 out to Lake Ranch. The trail skirts the property where a large flock of peacocks live. At dusk just after the sun drops the birds start calling. For the uninitiated it sounds very much like a human sacrifice is taking place just off in the woods as we ride buy. I have had people get off their bikes and go into hysterics right on the spot. The trail is a narrow single track through very dense impenetrable madrone trees and manzanita brush. Caught in the middle of the pack of riders they are trapped with no place to run. After some wine and cheese and reassuring talk at the reservoir the newly initiated calm down and we all have a good laugh.