View Single Post
Old 09-02-06, 09:06 AM
!!Comatoa$ted
Senor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With injuries and disability it depends on many factors. IMO the support system and the resources available to the individual will influence how well the person can deal with different aspects of the injury or disability. If one lives with family, in which others can drive, and have the financial resources, they may be able to rely on their family.

If you are single, live 20 miles from work, and can’t afford to drive, and there is no family near, you may have to take more drastic actions than a person who lives in a city with good public transit that is available for the injured and disabled.

Where I live I am car free but have to deal with a disability. Fortunately the area I live in is ideal; all amenities of city living are in the surrounding blocks and all within a 5-minute push of a walker. It is easier to be car free where I live. School and work are within a 20-minute walk from home. Aside from that I am
down the street from very close family.

On the other hand when I lived in the country and worked 50Km away I had to rely on my car. I did not like this situation so I decided to move closer to work.