CRUM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PM7771
My biking friend who I have the utmost in respect claims that unless a cyclist pushes hard on a ride - to the point of finishing a ride with some level of fatigue or muscular soreness - that you aren't getting the benefit of building muscles. Thats how I understand him.

My logic would have it though that I can still derive benefit from a "casual" ride.

btw I've done 1700 miles since last May '05 on a Trek 820 ( steel ) mtb - mostly road riding on slicks - and just got a Devinci Podium road bike, Shimano 105 with Shimano wheels. Getting used to the new light ride, which is of course faster and easier ! yes, less exercise so I guess I go longer & faster to make up!

My quick rides b4 or after dinner are 11 miles; and a couple times a week I get in 20-30 mi which really have gotten me to be an endorphin addict

Peter
Maybe pain and soreness is needed to acheive muscular fitness, but riding is used by many for other reasons. Mental fitness or stress relief is my major goal. I ride because it makes me feel better. When I have to purge the demons of a bad week, I often ride like I am angry and push hard. At other times, I ride and rubberneck. Above all I ride to help that big stupid muscle in my head.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone