Old 09-03-06, 08:41 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
What is your goal? If your goal is to ride 10K miles a year or ride across the US all you need to do is ride a lot. If your goal is to stay with cyclists half your age then you need to do specific training.

I have been riding for awhile. Except for the few years I was interested in racing.I have always mixed the cycling with other activities like rowing, hiking and cross country skiing. That has helped develop the upper body muscles while still keeping the muscles associated with cycling in tone and limber.
Your question is very valid and I will answer in detail.
Goal #1) Maintain health as I am getting near retirement. Health means full body health and good mental health. I am in an extreme stress environment at work. The American Automotive Supplier Companies. I use lots of exercise to counteract that. It seems to be working.
Goal #2) I had a lot of fun and success at a XC trip. Probably a high point in my life. I wish to duplicate it soon with a few improvements. I was approximately in the top 6 bikers out of over 30. I would like to do better regardless of my age.
Goal #3) I often bike in Detroit Metro Parks with very professional bikers. I like to improve my standings with them, regardless my age.