Old 09-05-06, 07:03 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets

From what I can tell, any lube will work as well as any other lube. Just choose based on availability, price, and the non-lubrication-related attributes you favor.
I think that this is basically true provided the rider is aware of when they should lube, and they keep an eye on it, which anyone who delves into a lube thread knows.

I switched to WL about a year ago, and it seems to be fine for me here in NYC. But the conditions here are pretty dusty/filthy/scummy. I just thought I'd ask the OP if he actually cleaned his chain before putting on his first application of WL. I think that especially if you're swapping lubes with different bases/qualities, not doing so will simply lead to your new lube sloughing off pretty quickly. Esp. if there was some WD-40 on it from before, this could have prevented the WL from penetrating and sticking.

Otherwise, if it's not working, pass it on to an MTB friend, go back to what works.

PS Isn't it about time a mod just started a "lube" sticky? <edit> Make it "lube + application/purpose/conditions."