Thread: Tire Pressure
View Single Post
Old 09-05-06, 01:54 PM
Bill G
Bill G

Bikes: Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K&M
We use Michelin Pro Race 25s most of the time and Conti Ultra-Gatorskin 28s when things get nasty during the rainy season. We weigh in at a little under 300 lbs. and we inflate our tires to about 110 front and 120 rear. In thousands of miles of riding on bad roads we have yet to have a pinch flat.

We use the Rolf tandem wheels and Rolf recommends against using any tire with these wheels inflated to more than 120psi. Even if the wheels were rated for higher pressure, I can think of no reason why we would want to use higher pressure.

K&M,

You should get good performance at the tire pressures you listed your tire pressure matches your team weight, you guys are pretty light. Things change when it comes to tire pressure as the team weight gos up on a tandem. All I can say is the owner of Co-Motion cycles recommended the higher pressure for the Michelin Pro 2 Race tire and our team weight and my Robusta has Rolf wheels. I met Rolf personally at Co-Motions facility when we picked up our tandem. Also, apparently Santana recommended the higher pressure for the tandem tire as well for the weight of kevinedc team ( the original poster of this topic ).

It has a lot to do with team weight, according to the chart I recommended above a team that weighs 300lbs with a 28mm tire should run 115psi to 120psi which is were your team weight is at, but with the same tire with a team of 350lbs you should run 130psi to 135psi . I have used this chart for quite a while and find it very accurate for tire pressure and team weight ratios.

Take Care,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 09-05-06 at 03:27 PM.