Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OC Roadie
It's steep, but very short.
The best/hardest/steepest hills in OC are in Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda. There are some really nasty climbs that lead up to the ridge just east of the 91 Fwy between Yorba Linda Blvd and Weir Canyon. Newport Coast is not very tough, it's good for repeats, but not worth seeking out. Also, Santiago Canyon, Modjeska (a little detour in the middle of Santiago Canyon), and Live Oak (the climb to the East of Cook's Corner) are really fun to loop together. Laguna Beach has some nasties, Bluebird Canyon and Pacific Island Drive. But if you really want to do climb after climb, go to Anaheim Hills. I've got a route slip that will get you about 7500' of climbing in 70' miles if anyone's interested.
I have to agree the gnarly road hills in OC are in Anaheim Hills - look at Canon, Serrano or Nohl Ranch. Put them together and you have a hell of a tough ride. If you start on the Anaheim side, come up Canon/Imperial Hwy and then turn left onto Santiago, go through the Canyon, turn left onto Live Oak, past O'Neill Park into Mission Viejo. Go back through MV taking Marguerite Parkway or one of those lovely streets, to Irvine Blvd to Jamboree, or Skyline/Newport back to Canon up and over again. About 50 - 60 miles and will definitey work the legs.

The Other known nasty climbs are through Aliso Viejo, Laguna Hills (Aliso to Wood Canyon) and Dana Point (PID is a ball buster). Actually just ride East or North of Irvine. You'll hit hills!

Starting in February, Bike Club of Irvine starts "Bear Training" rides to prepare for "Ride Around the Bear". Each ride is progressively nastier than the preceeding ending with a ride up Palomar. If you want to do some hill training come out for that.

Newport Coast BTW is tame in comparison. Although true story - to prepare for the Bear RIde I have a friend that rode upa dn down the PCH side of Newport Coast for 8 hours!!!! She did 100 miles and around 8500' of elevation gain. I thought she was crazy... actually I still do! She did the Bear in 7 1/2 hours so it got her prepared.