View Single Post
Old 09-05-06, 09:08 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor29
I guess I should have added the smiley face icon... Persoally I don't like gears on a mountain bike, but that's just me. As far as the other reply about San Francisco having hills, well, duh. That hasn't stopped all the hipsters around here from getting fixed gear bikes. It's pretty easy to get around most of the big hills unless you live on one.
Yeah, I figured that, it's usually the case. But if somebody has to ride around a big hill, then their bike has limited utility. I suppose that would be OK as long as you never have to go up that big hill, but the bike is still limited. On the other hand, some of those hills are so steep that it's probably quicker to walk up.

Hipsters have fixed gears here too, but if I were going to choose a fixie, I wouldn't do it to follow the latest poseur trend, I'd do it because it makes sense for me to have one. Well, that's not entirely true-- I'd do it to experiment too, but if I were just choosing one bike to get around on, I sure wouldn't be checking what some poseur is riding to figure it out.

Last edited by Blue Order; 09-05-06 at 09:41 PM.