Thread: Mackinac Island
View Single Post
Old 09-06-06, 11:18 AM
rgtft

Bikes: Cannondale T1 touring bike, Specialized Roubaix, Raleigh tandem, Raliegh SC40 comfort bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_H
My wife and I are headed up to Macinac Island in a couple of weeks for our anniversary. While we won't be hitting any of the real fun trails *sniffle* I'd still like to take my bike up. I've got a few questions for other folks who've gone up there before.

-I was told at the local bike store that they treat the bikes badly on the ferry, throwing them in, scratching them up, etc. Is this true? It seems like a lot of money to have your bike thrown about.

-With the above in mind, would it be better to rent a bike for a day? We're not going hardcore trail riding or anything, just biking about the island. I dont know the costs between ferrying over a bike vs renting for one or two days.

-I keep hearing that bike theft is a issue up there...I know the basic safety bits (lock up, remove valuables, etc)....anyone have any issues with that?

Thanks
My wife and I went to the island for a couple of nights last month. Regarding your questions:

1) You can watch the ferry personal roll your bike onto the boat. I've never seen any abuse. Our bikes were handled fine both ways.

2) The bikes you rent on the island look to be in poor shape; I'd much rather ride my bicycle than any rented bike I saw. It'll be cheaper as well; it only costs about $7 per bike to take your bicycle over and back to the island.

3) Lock your bike and you'll be fine.