View Single Post
Old 09-07-06, 01:52 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GGE
Thanks for the responses everyone. I rode a couple miles last night in order to really pay attention to the fit. I think a longer seatpost may do the trick, but I will explore that option and the larger frame with the LBS. I think they will be helpful, so I'm going to head there on Saturday. But I'm also wondering if a hybrid is really for me; it's hard to judge until you have the right fit.

I'm 5'6" short. 30" inseam and the Bianchi is a 15 1/2 frame. The Giant road bike is a 42Cms and the Tandem is a Large/ medium.

Forget the tandem- as this does not apply, but Seat height, and bar height and reach, can be altered. What cannot is standover height and top bar length.

I have just bought the giant road bike and I tried a 46cm frame. Reach was too far away and standover was a tad tight. I went for the 42 and seat is raised near the limit but I had to fit a slighly longer bar stem.

The Bianchi is a mountain bike and Large frames are a No-No on this, Too many offs and a lower top bar is helpfull in saving a bit of pain. Even then- I tried the next size up and it was too large.

Now Tandems are built differently and the stokers cockpit is restricted in Reach. This works different as it is difficult to extend a reach on a tandem without interfering with the pilot- so reach has to be right.

Pics attached to show the bikes and you can see how I have set up the small frame to my height. May look stupid to have that much seat post showing- but it works for me. The pic of my suspension post on the Tandem is an unusual seat post, but I can assure you that even this post is well extended out of the frame.

At your height- you probably have the right size frame. What you do not have is a proper fit. Get the LBS to sort the seat height- with a longer post if necessary- get the knee over the pedal position correct and then set the length you want by sorting the correct stem. I'll be honest and say that the LBS should have helped you on this right from the start, but now you know what is wrong- get the shop to sort the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi2.jpg (41.1 KB, 12 views)
giant.JPG (71.0 KB, 13 views)
thudb.jpg (68.3 KB, 11 views)

Spike Milligan