Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rockpilex
A little background-I was born and raised in South Florida. I've never seen a mountain or a desert. The Tampa Bay area has had snow 3 times since I was born, the temperature rarely drops below 45 degrees.

Next summer I will be tour-camping along the Lewis and Clark Trail. What should I expect weather wise on the prairie, in the mountains and in the arid areas. Any special clothing, shelter/sleeping needs (I currently tour with a 2 man 3 season tent and a 45+ degree sleeping bag)? Any input on these topics would be appreciated. Thanks

Its a long trail; too bd ya couldn't have done it this past summer, as it was the 200th anniversaryof Lewis and Clarks' return Journey. I did a huge chunk of the Oregon/Idaho/Montana partn and you'll love it. I'd upgrade your sleeping bag though, for cooler weather in the mountain regions. I don't know what type of phsyical condition you are in, but i train for my cycling tours by jogging stair laps (4 or five floors): builds awesome leg power, lung capacity. I train for about 40 minutes each day at tops. Then you'll be able to laugh at the 3-4-5% grades they call "tough" in the rockies.

Good luck! A bad day touring beats a good day working.

roughstuff