View Single Post
Old 09-08-06, 07:16 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
While waiting for my real job to start, I've been working as a wrench and sales guy at a local bike shop during the summer. The guy that manages the shop has been in the business for about 30 years. We recently sold a couple of bikes to a British couple. They flew in, picked up the bikes, and left to do some touring around BC and the Pacific Northwest, then fly home with the bikes. My friend the bike shop manager says that they'll probably sell the bikes in England. Evidently, bikes are way cheaper in North America (for equivalent quality) than in Europe.

In fact, the manager (who often travels to Europe, as he's originally from Denmark), will often take a new bike with him to Europe, ride around on it during his stay, and sell it before he leaves, often paying for his trip this way. He has no problem selling the bike, either. He just mentions to his friends that he's interested in selling the bike, and they just say, "fine, let me know when you're leaving, I'll buy it." (Of course, these are generally bikes built in Canada, probably in the $1200-1500 range.)

- L.