View Single Post
Old 09-08-06, 07:48 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I am addicted to my fixie. It's a Gunnar Street Dog frame, not a track frame. The geometry is relaxed, and I have such things as water bottle cages, clearance for fenders and wider tires, and a brake on both wheels. (What I like about being well over 40: I don't have to care what people think)

Some people have suggested that one reason for the growing popularity of fixed gear bikes, is because many riders have become fed up with gear systems that border on the absurd in their complexity. They may be right. (File under "who asked for it?")

Riding fixed does take some getting used to. The learning curve varies from person to person. Some people pick it up right away, others take a few weeks of nominal riding. Expect some muscles to get sore the first few weeks, as you're using them differently. This will pass, sooner than you think.

What gear you pick depends on what works for you. I ride a 42 x 15, which works out to about 75 inches. Some people prefer something lower. Track bikes are geared extremly high, as you probably found out.

It's all true: riding fixed makes you stronger, and is quite addictive. It's difficult to explain beyond that. Check out the fixed gear gallery for some ideas. www.fixedgeargallery.com