Old 09-09-06, 03:17 PM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gpsblake
I'd get a Garmin if the main purpose is bicycling.

The Explorist 400 lacks a lot of features for bicycling that the Garmin units have. For example, The Legend-C can record both moving avg speed and total avg speed. The Garmin can record total trip time, moving trip time, and stopped trip time. The Explorist can not. The Legend-C can record climbing/decending speed like FT/minute, the Explorist can not. The Garmin has a trip computer screen with 8 data fields at one time or 3 data fields if you want a huge display of the numbers. The Explorist has no trip computer screen. The Odometer on the Garmin will record down to the .00 while the Explorist doesn't.

The CD's for buying any GPS mapping software is going to run you $100 or more American on top of the price of the GPS unit. Beware of buying them off ebay.

Since mapping is important, get a unit that has a SD card, which the Explorist 400 has as well as a lot of Garmin units do now.

The very best way to compare units is to either check them out in person at a store or to download the manuals online and compare the features.

Good luck.
I've just checked out this Garmin on eBay. It has a colour screen but it doesn't have any external storage capabilities. Everything I have currently (camera, Palm Pilot) uses SD. For my uses, I really need that extra storage capacity. Is there a Garmin with that feature at a comparable price?