View Single Post
Old 08-22-03, 01:15 AM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have an aluminum framed hybrid which I have used for touring and several centuries. While it is basically fine, I wish now I had bought a steel frame bike with drop bars instead. The aluminum frame is jarring over rough surfaces and the flat bars resulted in numbness in my hands. I once had the opportunity to ride a Bianchi Volpe, and the difference was significant. The steel frame made the ride like butta, and the drop bars with the different hand positions were much better for the long haul. The only thing I didn't like was the shifters integrated with the brake levers. I would swap them for bar-end shifters, but that is my personal taste. As for the height of the handlebars, even with drop bars you can put on a stem with a higher rise and/or different length to get the bars in a comfortable position. For road riding, I don't think front shocks are necessary, especially with a steel frame. But personal taste has a lot to do with it. Some people go touring on mountain bikes.

joeprim, I think you will be happy with the Volpe. It's a great bike for the price.

Last edited by Brennan; 08-22-03 at 01:29 AM.