Thread: Trek Pilot
View Single Post
Old 09-14-06, 01:11 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I also need a triple ring and something better than Bontrager Race wheels. Bontrager has the wheels with eylets. (I think Race lites?)
This is only gained from Mountain bikes but some of the Points are valid for road bikes too. Trek use a lot of inhouse parts- possibly less on the better bikes- but that inhouse name is Bontrager. I have a problem with Bontrager parts as although they are not poor quality- they are not the top quality they seem to be deemed as. In particular I have a problem with the wheels. They look good- are of sensible quality- price is right and they do the job. However, changing a tyre on a bontrager wheel is a 3 tyre lever job. They are probably the tightest rims to get get a tyre onto that I have ever come across. One of my riding partners has a trek and he is the only person I know that uses steel levers. Strength cannot be faulted- neither can looks or quality- but repairing a puncture on these things is impossible.

On the triple ring- Jppe has got on very well with the Compact Double Ring Crank and changing the rear cassette and and derailler. For not gaining the extra weight of a triple and for a gearing that seems to be a bit more flexible, this is a good alternative.

Spike Milligan