www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Kurt,

When were you going to tell me how to to remove the self adjusters on my '73? Were you going to make me struggle with them for a while first?

Well, I read this thread and foiled your plan!

Also, shouldn't the replacement parts be aluminium since it is an English bike?

How much total weight is saved by changing the rims, seatpost, handlebar and stem from steel to aluminium? The person I hope will use the Sport does need a light bike.
*thinking back* - I honestly can't remember when you asked me about removing self-adjusters...

Thought I suggested aluminum parts in my post too! Do you mean replacement, aluminum brake calipers? If so, I advise against it - the Raleigh levers are superior to Weinmanns when operating correctly.

I have no idea how much is saved, for I've yet to do it myself. I'm sure at least 4-6 pounds are shaved off the total weight when swapping the rims, and about 2-3 after a handlebar/post swap.

You'll still have a 28-32 pound bike when all is said and done though - no lightweight by any means.

I'm not sure if this would make sense, but you might be able to build a lighter 3-speed machine by building one from a Schwinn 4130 frame - swap the bars, insert a 3 speed hub in back, take out a chainring, mount a Raleigh detachable chainguard, and you're good to go. No need to chase down the aluminum rims either, as I believe all the 4130 Schwinn models already have them.

-Kurt