Old 09-14-06, 09:04 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
However, I remember being a kid walking to school on these seculded pathways and yeah, I was afraid of being beaten up or getting my lunch money stolen and I can't tell you how many flashers I saw, but I still think that a bike path is a good idea. One going right to the school. Maybe even post some moms or crossing guards along the way or something.
I think the solution would be to think of bike paths differently-- not all bike paths should be scenic. Some, maybe most, should serve specific transportation functions. In this case, make a high-visibility bike path from the neighborhood to the school-- one where no flasher or thug would dare to lay in wait. For example, a bike path on the right-hand side of the sidewalk, such that the sidewalk is between the street and the bike path. It might mean moving the sidewalk out into the present bike lane (assuming a present bike lane), and placing the bike path between the property lines and the sidewalk. It will definitely mean thinking outside of the box, but if we do think outside of the box, it can be done.