Old 09-15-06, 08:54 PM
Slow Train

Bikes: 2006 Specialized S-Works Tricross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Frankly, I haven't read anything that indicates hands-free cell phone use is any less attention-grabbing than is hands-full cell phone use, but what the heck.
The studies I've heard about all found that the phone conversation itself is the distraction and using a hands-free device doesn't improve things.

* Prohibit the use of cell phones by drivers unless the driver is using a hands-free device starting July 1, 2008.
Good God Extort is right! There is no excuse for this kind of delay. Give the public 6 months notice tops. Every phone store I've been in has been well stocked with hands-free devices. What is Arnold waiting for? A hands-free bionic implant**********

When riding in traffic I too like to be able to easily see who is talking on a phone. I have learned not to get up alongside such cars as they are very unpredictable. Maybe we can get another law passed saying that when talking on a phone the driver has to mount a large lighted sign on top of the car (like a pizza delivery) that says CAUTION! IDIOT DRIVER ON PHONE.

DC went hands-free about 2 years ago. Neither the MD or VA suburbs have followed. Here is what I found:

Expect the law to be ignored for about 6 months to a year.
Gradually law enforcement will start ticketing after many complaints.
Among the most frequent violators of the law will be police officers themselves.
Because hands-free devices can be cumbersome to put on many drivers will forgo making or answering calls while driving. Yeah Victory!