View Single Post
Old 09-16-06, 09:15 PM
CrossChain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some fellow Rivendellians consider brifters over-engineered claptrap whose complexity will stomp your wallet and eventually leave you stranded somewhere out in dogpatch, not to mention ruin the flexibility of your riding style. [BTW not trolling here].

But, damn, they are convenient. Having said that, must admit I have a pair of Mavic retro-friction dt's on another bike I ride as frequently and I won't give them up. They work like silk on my 9spd, and except for the 1 second reach down, they are a quick shifting....especially across several cogs. Matched to an old Shimano 600 short cage rd, there is none of that "overshifting" that John E. may remember from elder days. Also, they are classy and simple and bullet proof as well as age proof. And, if my own age kicks in and I forget what gear I'm in, I can tell by glance or touch. Frankly, I enjoy both and having both lends variety to my riding. On a third "do-anything" bike I have friction SunTour ratcheted barcons and they are also keepers.