Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
So: My numbers are an age of 50 and a max heart rate of 182. For those of you who use heart rate monitors, what's your age and max heart rate?
Mine is near yours. 49.5 / 180

However, since the reason for knowing max is computing a training range, I just decided to ruin the numbers for 70% of MHR...

170 * .7 = 119
180 * .7 = 126

Since my exertion isn't consistent enough to keep my heart beat at an exact number, I logically convert these to ranges of +/- 5 rounded to the nearest 5.

If I am targeting 119, I would try to keep my HR between 115 and 125.

If I am targeting 126 I would try to keep it between 120 and 130.

Half of these two ranges overlap.

I think that the real reason for heart rate training is to get close to the same benefit as the pros with their VO2 and Lactic threshold and other information, for those of us who can't afford it.

Since percentage of MHR is probably also another "average" or guideline, and needs to be individualized somewhat, and difficult to measure without expensive equipment, I would say that for me, regardless of computed versus observed, these are similar enough that if I didn't know my real max, 220 - age would be just fine.

While we are at it, I like the formulas that try to narrow it down even more... Has anyone seen them? They use weight, height, ring size, shoe size, age, mother's maiden name, astrological sign, favorite Beatle... and still come up with roughly the same number.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson