View Single Post
Old 09-18-06, 12:54 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I think that riding in traffic is a lot like other cycling skills. Bikes can co-exist safely with motor vehicles, as long as the cyclist has some good training and/or experience. Once you learn about riding in traffic and practice it, you can do it with ease.

A good place to start learning about street cycling is in the Advocacy & Safety forum here at Bikeforums. (Just ignore all the bickering and infighting they do, and you'll learn some real skills.)

You know--multi-user trails have their own dangers, and so do siewalks. The overall accident rate on trails may be higher than the rate on streets, although accidents on trails may be less severe, like simple falls when swerving to avoid pedestrians or animals.. But many accidents occur where trails intersect with streets, and of course these can be severe. Sidewalk riding can also be dangerous, as cagers tend not to look for bikes on the sidewalks before they make turns across their path.

I agree with people who say to ride only where you feel comfortable. But I would add: You can learn to feel comfortable riding in many new places--provided that you first learn the appropriate techniques, then gradually implement them. Of course it's up to you. Some people don't mind taking trips that are twice as long, but most probably want to make utility trips shorter by using all of the existing infrastructure.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 09-18-06 at 04:30 PM.