View Single Post
Old 09-19-06, 11:09 AM
toolboy

Bikes: Steve Bauer Whirlwind, Nishiki International, Rocky Mountain Element 30 1984 Cinelli Super Corsa w/Campy 50th, Surly LHT.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a retired teacher who has had a life-long fantasy of being "Bicycle Repair Man" (ala Monty Python ) . I have a complete shop in my basement with more tools than the LBS and had the chance to work in that same LBS for two weeks while one of the partners was in Europe taking part in a big Pinarello workshop/race/promo. The best part for me was selling and helping people find what they needed. I assembled bikes - from low-end to the $4000 carbon racers and repaired and tuned a LOT of bikes. Believe me, at the end of a 9 hour day of repairing mostly the low-end clunkers, my little fantasy had turned into the hard reality that I would not want to do this for a living. The three owners have done it since they were kids, working in the family shop. They take pleasure in helping customers, solving the tough tech issues and of course sharing in the financial rewards. Unless you take the courses (Barnett's etc.) you may not be able to get much past assembly and simple repairs in the shop. How about opening your own MOBILE bike repair? That has always made a lot of sense to me unless you have a lot of competition in that area. Besides, you would get to wear that super cape and do the flying thing!!