View Single Post
Old 09-19-06, 04:44 PM
i_r_beej
Portland, OR

Bikes: Cannondale: '94 R400; Lemond Poprad '06; Specialized Epic Marathon '06; Specialized Stumpjumper '89; Redline Proline Pro Cruiser '10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When i was shopping for a cyclocross bike to ACTUALLY use for cyclocross (*gasp!*) my decision came down to the Cross Check or the LeMond Poprad. I ultimately decided on the Poprad primarily for the (perceived) better quality of the materials and components-- 105 and Bontrager component mix, True Temper Platinum OX tubing and US fabricated frame.

As for weight, one of the guys at Surly (such nice folks) let me know that the "Cross Check complete" weighs in at 25.4 lbs for a 52cm frame with their Tiagra spec.

Not too bad. My aluminum Cannondale F700 weighs in at about 25lbs.

However, the Poprad has been criticised for weighing about 21.5lbs! Whatever-- there's just no pleasing magazine editors.

That said, if you're going to be lifting a bike "suitcase-style" over barriers at a full run, a few pounds might make a difference by lap 5 or six.

But weight was low on my list of priorities. You see how the weight drops quickly with better quality components.

Oh-- and as for the "brifters" somehow being better than bar-end shifters... whatever. Bar-ends plus aero brake levers are lighter and simpler and cheaper than brifters. But slightly less convenient to use. When by 105 brifters succumb to cold, rain and mud i'll replace them with aero levers and bar-ends. And use the money i saved on booze.