View Single Post
Old 09-19-06, 05:40 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
My feeling, based on experience with fitting bikes for numerous females (and some males) around your height... opt for an MTB with road tyres fitted by the LBS before you take delivery of it.

The stand-over height, top-tube length and toe overlap issues are all faults on bikes that have small frames but the bigger 700C wheels as found on roadbikes and hybrids.

It is likely, too, that the MTB frame will be durable for a very long time. I know it's almost impossible to get MTBs without front suspension forks, but if you can... get one! Suspension forks are a liability in terms of longevity and repairability, especially on cheaper bikes.

Be extremely careful of mail-order. A friend ordered a bike for Christmas for his partner. My friend was an experience bicycle advocate. The bike arrived and to everyone's dismay, it was way oversize. The bike was eventually replaced with a smaller one... but by then the moment had gone.

I'd advise you to go to a bike shop, but many are notorious for trying to nab the commission rather than ensure you're happy with fit. Shop around a little. Before committing yourself, keep asking questions here, specifically about bike fit and in particular look out for standover height and reach to handlebars. And if you let people know where you live, they may have a recommendation on a good bike shop.