View Single Post
Old 09-20-06, 02:11 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had a couple of what now seem minor, but at the time were serious medical conditions. They made me think about things, life in general and me.

First one was a heart problem that led to a bypass. I was probably the fittest I had been in years. I had a regular riding partner- same age, same fitness and I was leaving him on speed- hills and stamina. While I was in hospital- his wife came and saw me. What Have Mike and I been doing- He woke up that morning with indigestion and was now in Cardiac ward of another hospital. He went through all the tests and nothing was found. Then 2 years later- I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. That hit me mentally and 10 days before I went in for surgery- he went out on an evening ride with a couple of friends. I was worried about the op and did not go. He had a heart attack and died.

So two of us- Mike was stronger- fitter- healthier than me but he died and I recovered. I was diagnosed correctly- he wasn't. Makes you realise how easy it could have been the other way round. Since Mike died- I have taken everything in my stride. Forced myself back into riding when I could easily have stopped doing the serious stuff that I am still trying to do. Got my fitness back so that I did the hardest ride again that I had ever done. AND it was still hard. Changed my attitude to a lot of things- Work gets in the way of what I want to do? No it doesn't- I come first. Don't know if you have them over where you are, but we have "Grumpy Old Men" that talk a lot of sense. Going by them- I must have been their teacher.

Age has affected me- and the problems it brings- but I have tried to take the right view and turn it to my advantage. I have no sense of guilt when I sit on someones wheel for mile after mile- I have no qualms about calling for a coffee break when I feel like one and I have no qualms about talking the others into "just one more hill" when I know it will kill them and I have been taking it easy for the last 50 miles. You only remember the last bit of the ride so Stapfam still rules on our rides.

Spike Milligan