Old 09-20-06, 02:17 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
Is "DLLP" an adaptation to the presence of a bike lane?
Not only.

I don't use this technique on wide outside lanes (WOL,) but I have been known to leave the bike lane for many good reasons.

I have an outside lane on my commute that varies in width from wide to narrow and visa-versa. I often ride the center of the lane, but when it's wide, I can't because I've literally had people pass me on the right when I tried it.
If someone is passing you on the right, that means faster same-direction is present, in which case DLLP indicates being further right anyway.

You might wonder why I would take the center of the WOL, but when it changes to narrow again, I want to be in the center.

So that's one reason I don't move center in a WOL. If a bike lane is present, I suppose moving out of the bike lane is similar to DLLP, but I do it for reasons that lie ahead of me (debris, etc.,) not behind me (traffic.)
Oh, DLLP is about choosing lane position for all kinds of reasons. Among those reasons, moving left to increase cognitive conspicuity to those approaching from behind before they overtake you is only one of those reasons.