View Single Post
Old 09-20-06, 02:32 PM
Fat Louie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've started riding again back in May of this year- back when I used to ride, the wheels you got on your bike were the wheels you used! I'm 6'3" 250. Since I started riding again, here's what I've tried and the results:

Mavic Open Pro/ultegra hubs 32 spoke from Performance- used for 200 miles and were out of true- got them true again, but haven't put them back on for round 2.

Xero xr3's- used for about 100 miles until I got the open pros- stayed perfectly true, but I was uncomfortable with the 20 spoke count rears, so I removed them and sold them.

Gimpiemme T-due 24 spoke Rolf Patent design- used for about 100 miles as well and they are still true as well- removed to upgrade to Kysriums.

2006 Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL's- used for ~100 miles and broke a spoke when trying to catch a light- was told by the shop how rare this was and how they never see broken spokes on these (funny that they would stock the spokes though). I guess I'm just super strong- NOT!

Velocity Deep V 40 spoke- 500 miles with no problems, still perfectly true even after some pretty good hits to them. Weigh about as much as my bike, but I know I'll be able to finish my ride on these.

In summary- I love the Mavic wheels- both the Open Pro and the Ksyriums are great wheels- they accelerate better than the other wheelsets- but so far, they've been the only two to give me problems (granted the Open pros may be a build issue). The deep v's so far are as advertised.