View Single Post
Old 09-20-06, 08:54 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In 2002 Burley introduced its first Aluminum tandem frames. Interestingly enough, the frames were actually produced for Burley by Trek for most of the year. Toward the end of the 2002 model year, Burley and Trek parted ways and Burley began to produce its aluminum tandems in house with their own spec. tubing.

Anyway, the San Marino was Burley's entry level aluminum tandem model, spec'd with the same components as the steel framed Rumba tandem. The mid-level aluminum Burley was the Tosa (same components as the steel framed Duet) with the Rivazza (same components as the steel framed Paso Doble) at the high end. All three aluminum models used the exact same frames but were fitted with different levels of components.

My "guess" is that the San Marino just didn't make sense, didn' sell well, and was also a near zero margin / loss leader in the new aluminum tandem line-up. Burley had 9 different tandem models in '02 (10 if you count the Zydeco mixte and non-mixte as two different models vs. one) and the mid-level price point of $2000 was pretty crowded. So, it would appear that they decided to forego the entry-level aluminum tandem, i.e., the San Marino.

As for how the San Marino stacks up against the Fuji, if the San Marino is too big it's not a bargain at any price and as others have already noted, it is clearly too big. Now, if it did fit -- both your stature and your budget -- and was a comfortable bike to ride it would be a good choice but I'd probably press my luck and offer something lower than $1,650. Even though it's an '02 8 speed model, the components -- and in particular the wheels -- are of a higher grade than what Fuji has fitted to the Absolute. Trek sells a similar "family tandem" model called the T900 that's got an MSRP around $900. I think the component mix is perhaps a tad better than the Fuji and otherwise worth considering just so you're not locked into the either or buying decision on the questionably ill fitting Burley or the Fuji ATB/family tandem model. Raleigh also offers an entry level tandem that is in the same classification / component grade as the Trek T900 and Fuji Absolute... also worth a look.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 09-21-06 at 06:38 AM.