Old 09-20-06, 10:29 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rafael Guerra
As far as I know, there is ONE Dahon with rear suspension, the Giant Halfway RS, KHS (no longer manufactured) and DTFS. There are some "el cheepo" folders with RS, but not a lot. I wish MORE serious bikes came with rs, would make like easier to buy one justfor the frame...
If one views bikes overall, then folders seem to be the only ones out there of which some have RS only. Of MTB, comfort, hybrid and BMX, some have FS only. None have RS only. So you see my point? Folders are the only ones that come in RS only. I therefore wonder if something in folders make RS almost a necessity.

The only thing I can think of, is that the seat is closer to being directly above the rear wheel axle and therefore road bumps get transmitted more severely to the rider, compared to say a road bike. But that difference is fairly small, hardly likely to necessitate suspension compared to a roadie.

If you were a folder frame designer, then why would you consider putting in suspension?? More parts & expense, so cost can't be it...