View Single Post
Old 09-21-06, 08:28 AM
Bkappler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What should I do with this?

Hello -- I'm a newbie to the forum, though I've enjoyed browsing through all the posts. My question is that I found, in the garbage of a neighbor, an old bike. (I asked and she let make me take it -- no dumpster diving here). The frame is labeled Univega Maxima Sport, chromoly, and made in Taiwan. It's red. The bike has wheels with semi-knobbly tires that looked about 35 mm wide, maybe 40 mm, that were totally flat. It's got a high handlebar and looks like it was a hybrid bike. The front derailleur and the back gears look through they are rusted. The brakes look shot.

I was thinking this could be a good project bike. I already have a hybrid that I use for fun riding and occasional commuting. I was toying with making it a fixie or singlespeed (I have no experience with those at all, but it seems like they could be fun), just fixing it up with new components, or maybe even making it into an Xtracycle. I've also been trying to get my wife into cycling, so making it as comfortable as possible for a non-cyclist is also an option. Finally, I could also just try to sell it.

I just thought I would throw this out to the crowd -- any suggestions as to what I should do? Many thanks in advance.