Thread: bent steel fork
View Single Post
Old 09-22-06, 08:51 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
The frame looks OK to me, but the fork is obviously bent, although the fork tubes are not dented or kinked in any way. The paint isn't even scratched, nor is any other part of the bike damaged. It doesn't look like it was crashed. I bought it on ebay and the posted photos show the bike fully assembled, so clearly the fork was not bent then. Now its impossible to even install the front wheel. I don't think it was packaged very well. There were no plastic thingys stuck between the fork dropouts to prevent the fork from bending, and I think it just got crushed sometime before or during shipping. Whatever happened, the frame fared much better because the rear spacing is still correct. (i.e. the stays were not bent)
It looks to me like the fork could be bent back, but I'm just not sure if I would feel safe riding on that fork. The frame and fork are intended for a fixed gear commuter. I would'nt want to have my fork snap while pedaling down a hill at 140 rpm. I know that cold setting the spacing of a steel frame is no big deal, but I'm not sure if re-cold setting a fork would be a very wise thing to do. I'm tempted to though...because its going to be tough to find another fork.

Last edited by mihlbach; 09-22-06 at 09:03 AM.