Old 09-23-06, 04:35 PM
simplify
ride, paint, ride

Bikes: Cannondale R300 Caad2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't give up! As Rowan mentioned, take the tension down and start over, basically. Once you have several spokes out of whack and things get as messed up as it sounds like they are now, the best thing to do is de-tension the whole wheel and start again. Look for major problems in the rim when it is detensioned, like dips or bends. Then follow the basic principles to bring it into true and roundness as you bring up the tension. This is a learning process, and you are learning, so give yourself lots of time and lots of slack if it doesn't go well. If you start to get a bit cross-eyed or frustrated, put it aside and come back to it tomorrow. It's all about the journey. You will gain confidence and be proud of yourself when you bring that wheel back to roundness and true-ness, rather than admitting defeat. Once you accept the nature of the process, it becomes almost zen-like. Meditative and relaxing.

Here's something that helped me so much, I never again had a moment's doubt about which way to turn a nipple. Think of the spoke and nipple as a jar and lid. When the nipple is at the top of the wheel, it is just like a lid on a jar of peanut butter, and the spoke is the jar. So you turn the nipple righty-tighty, and lefty-loosey, just like a lid on a jar. Always at the *top* of the wheel. You would have problems with a jar lid too, if the jar were upside down, so always turn your jar rightside up--that is, have the nipple end at the top of the wheel. Then you'll know which way to turn it.

Edit--I just looked at your site (congratulations on your weight loss!!) and saw the photo of your Giant OCR2, and that's a very low spoke count. That makes this process quite a bit more challenging, but the principles are the same. Give it a try, bringing the tension up slowly, because you'll need to be pretty sure of your spoke tension. You could just get it as close as possible and then have your LBS or local wheelbuilder check your work.

Last edited by simplify; 09-23-06 at 04:49 PM.