cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,388 Times in 2,092 Posts
Another wrong-way cyclist story

Was riding on a marginally-traveled, residential, two-lane NOL road that serves as the perimiter of the local golf course. The minimal traffic on this road makes it a favorite for the occasional jogger, roadbiker, or hybrid rider.

Today, on my loop back home on my '61 Paramount, a father & son on a pair of Trek hybrids (one an '05 4300, if I recall, not that it matters) pulled out of an adjacent road about 350 feet ahead of me, and proceeded to take the right (from my perspective) edge of the road. I was, at this moment, on the same side, coming head on at about 20 mph. The father, riding ahead, was not aware of my presence, having not bothered to look up from the handlebars (I gather he had some form of cycle computer to keep his eyes occupied).

About 200-150 feet before a possible collision, I began to move to the left to avoid them, having noted that neither rider had noted my presence ahead. Murphey's law, of course, had our fellow wrong-way cyclist look up at this very moment to swerve in the same direction as I, at a near identical angle. Knowing quite well that any further direction corrections at this distance would be dangerous, I just stopped.

He passed at this point, upon when I gave him a friendly tip that wrong-way cycling can be a lot hazardous then one might be lead to believe. I then proceeded on my way - noting that when I checked for traffic behind me, both father and son took the proper side of the road.

Proves that even at minimal speeds and minus automobiles, wrong-way cycling can still be hazardous to you and others.

Wrong-way cycling proponents need not apply to this thread, thank you, I don't care to see this thread become a flamewar.

Take care,

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-16-08 at 09:52 PM.