View Single Post
Old 09-25-06, 09:17 AM
grebletie
NorCal Climbing Freak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've also have a Cyclops Fluid2 and have been putting some serious intervals miles on it already. The key to riding an indoor trainer is to somehow make it interesting. For the winter, on longer endurence rides when the weather is a bit frightful, I'll read. On shorter, intense intervals, I'll either watch something or listen to music.

I've also been told - but have no basis to back this - that trainer hours "count" for more than road hours, owing to the difficulty and the fact that you cannot coast.

In reference to the above poster, I'm not sure if I'd calibrate my workouts using speed. Speed is partially dependent on the number of turns you place the unit against the tire, and thus that dictates resistance to a large degree. When doing a workout, time and heart rate should be the main factors one looks at. As you're not really going anywhere, speed and distance are a bit meaningless. It's more, I think, about the amount of force you put out. And it just so happens that it takes a bit more force to keep a bike tire moving at speed on a trainer than on the road.

I'm no expect, however, so if anyone has anything to add, feel free.