Old 09-25-06, 09:30 AM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I lost 50 lbs last summer from June to October. Up to that point from 2001 on, i was an ex-racer gone to seed. I did start small and work my way up 10% a week. My first ride at 255 lbs
was a short 10 miler that felt like i did an interval session. My goal to help me lose was to gradually add mileage as fitness came around and cut my calories to 2500-3000 per day. Since my only goal was weight loss and not race fitness (yet) the only rides i set out to do were LSD (long slow distance) type endurance rides. Once I lost about 30 of those lbs, i was able to push a little harder on my rides and gradually build speed, but for the most part it was just moderate pace, some tempo and no real high intensity or planned intervals. I just wasnt eating enough to take on that kind of workload. My weekly mileage was around 150-175 miles. This was enough to do the job. Unfortunatly i stopped for 2 months and gained back 15 lbs. It took from Jan - May of this year to lose those 15 lbs because i was doing race specific training and eating more. Of course it all came crashing down in June. Lack of riding (about 10 weeks worth-not all consective) due to injury and a couple of family crisis coupled with no self discipline as related to food and , now im back up to 220. Right now my sole focus is on another big weight loss until January. I figure i can do 30 lbs in that time frame. And then another 15 slowly during the same winter/spring period to get me to ultimate goal of 175lbs. Its a good weight for me at 6 ft tall. I'm a sprinter type and always will be a sprinter type, but at 175, i'm hoping to be a little bit more of an all rounder.

Good luck to you and your brother.

Keep track of everything you do and eat so you know what worked and what doesnt. I use bikejournal.com in addtion to my Polar software.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog