Old 09-26-06, 12:53 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
White Rock Lake & Creek Trail (Dallas, Tx)

Most anyone who has spent any time cycling in Dallas has probably eventually made a trip to White Rock Lake, one of most popular Multi-Use trails around the city. In addition to the trail that runs around the edge of the lake (approx 9.3mi) there is also the White Rock Creek trail that leads from Valley View Park just north of 635 and Hillcrest Rd, down to the lake. This stretch of trail is 7-7.5mi in length.

For those wanting to tack on a few more miles for a ~35-45mi ride depending on if you do 1 or 2 laps around the lake, there is an easy way to the White Rock Creek trailhead from Richardson Bikemart in Richardson. From the RBM parking lot, go around behind the shop and follow the alley way behind the Alberstons and Firestone shops to the street. Turn right on to the street, and then another right on Melrose. Melrose will turn into LaManga on the other side of the signal at Coit Rd. Follow La Manga to Meandering Way. Turning Left on Meandering Way will turn you south. You will cross Araphaho, Belt Line, and Spring Valley signals before arriving at a stop sign at Peyton. Turn right at this stop sign and follow the street past Alpha. Peyton deadends right at the Valley View Park.

John of Texas-Cycling.com & Bicycle-Stuff.com has a ton of photos of the White Rock Creek and Lake trails avaliable to be seen here: Photos

I often ride this trail during the weekdays, especially if I ride in the mornings any time near rush hour. After crossing the 635 access roads, you have a clear shot with no road crossings, all the way to Northwest Highway, only a few blocks from the lake. A whole lot less dealing with traffic than anywhere else in the area, that's for sure.

Here's a few photos of the White Rock Creek trail that I took this morning on my ride.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today was just too nice of a day not to ride. So after class I dropped off my school stuff and headed out again. Headed from my apartment down to the White Rock Creek Trail here in Dallas. Here's a few pictures from the ride:

Handlebar shot. The Swing Grip is going to be where I mount my lights (this weekend hopefully)

The Schwinn Passage - Commuter bike - one of many I'm often on.

This isn't a photo of along the trail, but one of two small ponds within walking distance of my apartment, this one is literally around the corner. During the summer, I've been more than once tempted to just jump in on my way home from a ride.