Old 09-26-06, 03:17 PM
R-Wells

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlts22
Even with Lance Armstrong's chain of victories, here in Texas, bicycling is still viewed as:

A children's sport [1].
A way to get around for people either too poor to afford a car, some hippy whose Love Bug is in the shop, or someone convicted of DWI [2].

Now the puzzle... how does one convince people that bicycling is actually as good if not better than hopping in a car or Suburban [3] for various distances, and that it is a valid sports activity, and not just for kids.

[1]: Same with soccer... Only a rare few actually bothered to care about the World Cup other than snickering about the Head Butt of Death.

[2]: Texas is doing some serious clamping down on DWI (recently adding a $1000/year fee for convicted drunk drivers to keep their license), but its still too common, as people do drive without licenses. In theory, after DWI #3, the person gets tacked with felony hard charges.

[3]: Its common to see people hop into their vehicle, drive 30-40 feet, repark, then walk into another shop in the same strip mall.
I was with you untill the soccer bit, just not my cup of tea.
If we have to some how connect cycling to soccer i will have to take up hang gliding and give up cyling.
What would be the sense in riding a bike 30-40 feet?