Old 09-26-06, 06:15 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SimonEd
Well done! Its not easy for people to start and stick when they are so heavy to start with. I know this is a bike forum and this may be seen as heresy, but if you can find a propper running track, i.e. ones with the rubber feeling to them, then I advise you start off nice and easy and go a couple of times a week and just do what you can. Jogging is by far the best calorie burner for heavy people because there is no way to coast. Of course there are considerations like connective tissue and joints, but even if you are doing nothing more than a fast shuffle it will still be burning up a lot. It will also use different muscles which will bring up your LBM and thus increase calorie burn. Another nice thing about a track is that you can always see the end, its not like running on a raod to a specific location, you are always in a comfort zone knowing exactly where you are. Each lap is only about 500m so a lap a week increase is easily do-able and soon you will be doing 10 laps (which is about as much as I can do without getting too bored of it)
Actually jogging is terrible, because jogging is high impact, it's hard on the hips, back and knees, especially for someone well above their ideal weight, and when they get sore knees and a back ache, then they quit.

Cycling on the other hand is low impact (unless you fall off ), , if you want to eliminate coasting, get a fixie, with a fixie if the wheels are turning, so are the pedals. Another good low impact exercise is swimming. Hmmm, maybe bike to the gym, then go for a swim