View Single Post
Old 09-26-06, 07:09 PM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedal_Pusher
Based on my weight (~212 lbs), I reckon I'm a Clydesdale. Are there some other Lady Clydesdales out there? If so, I would very much apreicate some advice on bikes. I haven't ridden a bike in years and thought I would be riding my daughter's Specialized Hardrock, but wouldn't you know the minute I decided to start riding, she decided she wants her bike at college. I believe I will be looking for something in the comfort or hybrid area. Hubby and I will be riding mostly on the roads and bike paths. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I am an athena, and appropriate that name is because I always list "domestic goddess" on applications.

5'8" and about 230.

I am riding an impulse buy Giant Boulder. It has taken me a while to fit it correctly to me, but it is now pretty nice for me to ride. Still looking for the perfect saddle though.

If you are shorter than me, you should check out women's geometry bikes. Women tend to have shorter torsos and longer legs than a man of equal height and this will make a difference in how your bike fits if you end up buying a mans bike/frame.

My standover height was ok when I bought the bike, but I ended up getting a shorter handlebar stem and swept-back handlebars to get rid of the "too stretched out" feeling and to become positioned infinitely more comfortably upon my saddle(s).

If you can afford, get fitted at a responsible bike shop. And if you ride a standard frame, learn how to step-pedal up to sit on the saddle and do the same in reverse to stand astride the bike, both feet on the ground.