krazygluon
Mad scientist w/a wrench

Bikes: none working atm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Actually jogging is terrible, because jogging is high impact, it's hard on the hips, back and knees, especially for someone well above their ideal weight, and when they get sore knees and a back ache, then they quit.

Cycling on the other hand is low impact (unless you fall off ), , if you want to eliminate coasting, get a fixie, with a fixie if the wheels are turning, so are the pedals. Another good low impact exercise is swimming. Hmmm, maybe bike to the gym, then go for a swim
I'm sure if someone actually worked with me on technique, running/jogging might be a better calorie burner then cycling.

but I've tried to start running every year since I started college and never been able to stick with it longer than a month. every time I quite because running=pain...not "ow I skinned my knee" or "my underdeveloped lungs are burning" but "dear god my lower legs feel like I'm walking on bloody stumps" pain.

Meanwhile I've been riding my bike consistently since I bought it mid-June, and aside from the burning lungs, I feel better than I ever have. I do plan on starting running, but not before I'm in a little better shape and have someone who can correct lots of bad technique.

F=MA...the heavier you are, the more running hurts, plain and simple.

+1 for the fixie idea.

to the OP: You rock dude! I think you'll win your bet as long as you stay determined and don't overtrain.