View Single Post
Old 09-29-06, 12:47 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
slk, my own bike is an early 80s touring frame made of premium Ishiwata tubing, with the exact same geometry and braze-ons as the LHT It's a very classic design!

I couldn't be happier with it! I also have an aluminum road bike for club rides and racing, to compare it to. My LHT-like bike is nearly as fast as my aluminum bike, and more stable and much more comfortable. The steering is not as responsive, but you probably won't miss that for commuting use.

I really like all the nice touches on the LHT frame: the extra water bottle holder, the front rack mounts, the plentiful clearance for wide tires and fenders, and the spare spoke holder (I have refilled mine several times ). I think both the Cross Check and LHT frames look great, but I have to say that you don't lose a lot of fun or speed by going to a touring frame, and you gain some comfort and convenience.

EDIT- The one difference between my frame and the LHT is the dropouts. Mine has horizontal dropouts, which I like because I could go singlespeed if I busted the derailer or something.

Last edited by moxfyre; 09-29-06 at 12:58 PM.