Old 09-30-06, 10:45 PM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wild animals
hey thanks!

were you using those extreme 294s on a mountain bike in your example?
Actually that was with my 112-stud IRC Blizzards on a mountain bike, which were not bad tires either, especially since my co-workers bought them for me

are we almost home yet...?

i'm not sure about up in the hills (where hopefully i will be riding this winter) but a little bit lower, where i drive my car, the ice is very thin, but some days it's enough that you'll fall over if you walk on it at a regular pace. we don't usually get a good thick crust of ice. do you think i'd need the big, serious mountain bike tires for thinnish ice like that?
If the ice is nice and flat, then that's the best-case scenario. If it gets rutted or lumpy, and freezes like that, then that's where it gets tricky, in my experience.

The difference is partly that you get nearly 3x as many studs with the Extreme 294's, and partly that they can be run at super-soft pressures where they can wrap around stuff a bit better, and lay down a lot of studs at once, without risking a pinch flat. But I'm aware that you don't have a 26-inch type of bike, so I'm trying to be realistic that you're not going to run out and buy one.