View Single Post
Old 10-01-06, 05:34 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Old touring bikes are wonderful bikes and are very capable of taking you wherever you need to go. That said, the newer technology IS better. A lot of the frames are better. When my Miyata 210 was damaged in an accident this summer (tweaked headtube), I ordered a Surly LHT frame and built that up. Well, the Surly is a better touring bike, period. The components have a little bit to do with it, but not much - in the initial build, I used a lot of parts from the old bike. The only downside is that the LHT is a better touring bike - it doesn't have as much "zip" to it. But that's okay, because the LHT is supposed to be a tourer and my principle commuter, not a speed machine with crit-level handling.

As far as durability goes, I broke the fork on that Miyata and had to replace it not long before I lost the bike for good. I don't know how I did it (I weigh 125 lbs), and I've never heard of this happening to anyone else on a Miyata touring bike, but it did happen. Otherwise, there was never any problem with the bike.