BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Morgie
Worldwide there a millions of 15+ yr old benz still driving around and running strong... I don't think kia can claim that.

I'm not saying Kia doesn't make a good car, I LOVE JAP CARS, but Mercedes Benz vs. Kia, come on!!
But you are comparing a 15+ YO car.....I drive an 18 YO BMW, but would not trade it for a new one.

The build quality advantage once enjoyed by the Europeans has been superceded by their apparent love of techno-wizardry. Given a choice of new KIA or new Mercedes....the KIA, at least in the arena of simplicity is a no-brainer. Especially if you work on your own...

Anecdotal evidence from riders, while interesting, doesn't change the fact that after being in business for over 100 years, the company still doesn't see fit to do much of anything to contribute to cycling, at least in the US. And the bullheaded refusal to adopt industry standards when it comes to things like cassette splines and crank bolt patterns makes the case even clearer.

As a mechanic, one call to SRAM or Shimano usually gets an answer. Campy doesn't even try to make it easy.