Old 10-03-06, 02:06 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Derath: I can definitely see it. My 24 lb folding bike, packed into a hard-shell suitcase with helmet, rack, lock and other accesories hit 45 lbs.

Peterpan1: Doing all that flying is not cheap, and the dude should've checked on the luggage allowances months ago -- as in, before he bought his ticket. Plus, as a hard-working dude (well, sorta ) who cannot afford to take the time out that a cycling trip from Nepal to Thailand requires.... well, this guy qualifies for honest and helpful advice, but not fiscally-based sympathy.

Personally I prefer to go for a travel / folding bike over tilting at windmills. I would've suggested the OP get a folding bike -- but sadly, 24 hours is not quite enough time to make that a realistic suggestion.
Jealousy is a curse, and you have it. So what if the guy has built his life around being able to take holidays for such a trip. Maybe it's his once-in-a-lifetime adventure. Not everyone in the world has to live by the US way of corporate life.

And, I suppose you have a recommendation for a durable folding bike that will survive the Karakorum Highway or somesuch, fully loaded with the gear he is taking, etc, etc? I'd rather a well-built trekking bicycle than tilting at foldable windmills, thank you.