Old 10-03-06, 08:09 PM
Mike_Morrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rykoala
How did you lose the weight? I just started a new diet and I already commute on bike. I'm hoping its enough.

This is a repost from above:

When I was losing weight for the first 100 pounds it was all diet no exercise. At 400 pounds EVERYTHING was work, I was worried about my heart and knees, and truth be told I wasn't a big fan of exercise (imagine that *Grins*). Once I lost the first 100 I started walking to build up my fitness level, I walked 5 miles a day every day. If I had it to do over I would have started the exercise earlier in the process. About a year into the journey my wife and I bought a weight system and a Life Fitness elliptical, at this point I switched to the elliptical for an hour a day and lifting about 40 minutes every other day.

My diet was 1500'ish calories a day 6 days a week with one day a week where I would eat out with my wife and daughter an order off the menu skipping bread basket and dessert. The day out had the effect of making my caloric average in the neighborhood of 1750 - 1850 a day on average. I also took vitamin supplements.

Now I really mix up my activities. My wife and I started running triathlons this summer so I run, bike, swim and elliptical on a regular basis. During the nice weather the elliptical doesnt get as much use as I know I will be stuck in our workout room as the weather turns. I try to get at least an hour of cardio a day and lift at least 3 days a week.

My weight has been rock solid + or - 3 pounds for the last year and a half and to that I credit exercise. Exercise is only moderately helpful for losing weight (as it can be quickly undone by what we put in our mouth) but boy can it help one maintain the loss.