View Single Post
Old 10-03-06, 09:32 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adiankur
what about when temps get to around 0? tights and leg warmers?
Farenheit or Celcius? I've done both.

I have a relatively short commute, 5 miles each way, so I realize my requirements are a little looser than some peoples'. I wear very little cycling specific clothing. I have platform pedals so I can wear normal shoes, or boots in winter. In any temp under 60 F, I wear long pants of some sort, usually the casual work slacks I'll be wearing in the office that day. Above that, I don't need leg warmers, and below that, the slacks are enough, unless it's down in the 0C to 0F (or below) range.

Probably because I wear boots in the winter, I don't find a need for leg warmers; the long pants and ankle-high boots are enough. If it's below about 10F, I'll wear thicker socks or two pairs to keep my feet warm.

Actually, I've thought about leg warmers, not to keep my legs warm, but to protect my long pants from grease stains! In milder weather I roll up my cuff on the right, but in colder weather I'll have to either tuck them under my sock, which doesn't always reach up far enough, or go totally dorky and rubber-band a rag to the inside of my right calf, which I started doing last winter!